But… doesn’t “Oct-” mean eight? Well, in the old Roman calendar, October was the 8th month hence the Greek roots “octo” meaning “eight”. In the Gregorian Calendar, which is the system we use now, January and February were added and October retained its unfitting(ly) name. Oh October, such a rebellious month.

Anyway, October marks almost real Autumn in LA, since the climate only changes from “uncomfortably hot” to “nice & warm”. Nevertheless, I am feeling really festive this season (case in point: large, orange pumpkin masthead). Speaking of which, I’ve updated the “Themes explained” page. I thought “festina lente” was appropriate. It means “hurry slowly” and this month definitely anticipates a lot for me and the rest of the world (ie. The elections!). Btw, there was an article in the NYTimes about the revival of Latin classes in high schools. I wish I had taken latin!

I’m all settled into the apartment and am getting in school mode again. This couldn’t be a more apropos (Really? Does anyone use this 17th century word anymore?) time to take macroeconomics and global studies. While we’re on the subject of classes, I’ve forgotten how it feels to learn a new language, especially one with a different set of characters, not rooted in latin. A quite hackneyed analogy could be made to working out different muscles in your body and yadda yadda.

A lot has happened and I wouldn’t usually do these mundane “life updates” on my blog, but I do realize that sometimes I will disappear for weeks and months at a time so hopefully anyone who cares will know how things are fairing with me.

I’ve started my job at the Burkle Center (UCLA Burkle Center for International Relations) as the Multimedia Editor and couldn’t have asked for a more perfect job. The hours are flexible, I have an office, my supervisors are amazing, I get to drink tea while I work–and by work, I mean play (Okay, officially, it’s “update” or “maintain” not play… but I may as well call it that since I get a kick out of it) with the website, design graphics, and do everything in between. Now, I’m working on a newsletter… I don’t even remember the last time I designed and put out a newsletter. I think it was back in the 90s when AOL was really cool.

Anyway, I recently applied and was accepted to be a Daily Bruin Viewpoint columnist! I wish I had more to say apart from some gibberish about being ridiculously excited, but alas… WORDS FAIL ME. That, my friends (Ha ha), is irony at its finest.

Cheers to October!

Subscribe to comments Comment | Trackback |
Post Tags:

Browse Timeline

Comments ( 7 )

Seriously? U-Neek? Hahah

And what kind of tea! I’ve tried so many different kinds over the last few weeks.

Karan added these pithy words on Oct 12 08 at 1:06 am

Why are you asking me about tea? I don’t understand.

Millie added these pithy words on Oct 12 08 at 1:19 am

Because you drink it at work! Silly Millie.

Karan added these pithy words on Oct 12 08 at 11:52 am

How apropos that you should ask; I use the word, if not often, then at least randomly frequent.

Miss Millie time. You should email… or jump up the coast. Not only could you see me, you could meet my girlfriend, and you could see the Au-Dog.

Good luck in all you are doing and keep smiling, loving it, and kicking ass.

Adam added these pithy words on Oct 14 08 at 7:32 am

Millie! Wow, I can’t believe it has been about two years since I really last spoke to you. I mean, I think. I looked through my old chat logs [Really, “sweetened PTL” as a screen name? What was I thinking?] & I can’t believe that was so long ago.

I have & will always be a Fittingly reader, and I’d just like to say you’ve really grown as a writer and a person — coming from someone who’s been there since you had that mio-fio address. I do think you are an inspirational & aspirational writer, so it’s no wonder why some people want to imitate you.

Updates: I am still at EVC :[ I think it’ll take me another year before I can transfer. Oh, but the Chancellor from your school came to ours to talk, though :] It was pretty interesting.

Hope everything is alright in Millieville. Although from what you’ve said, looks like it is :]

Tatum added these pithy words on Oct 14 08 at 9:31 am

Um. WOW to the commentry of this post.

Also, the girl who got the columnist gig… her name is Sara Kohgadai. Her column is “that’s what she said”, she writes for the underdog, she wants the world to hold hands while singing kumbaya and she’s an idealist. Big time. To my utter disappointment, I like her. A lot.

But on the contrary, I’m rooting for you because I want to! Can’t wait to “Ask Millie” in the (near) future…

Nicole added these pithy words on Oct 15 08 at 2:49 pm

Adam: You WOULD use apropos! Anyway, I am pretty sedentary, so maybe you and Austin should jump down the coast and visit me instead.

Tatum: I thought that was a cool screen name, but I think that’s only because I used to be a barista too and I love acronyms. Thank you for your kind, kind words. You have no idea how comments like that motivate me to continue writing! <3 But geez, mio-fio? I don't even remember that URL anymore!! When it does come time for you to transfer, let me know if you need any help. I'd like to think I know the system (here, at least) pretty well.

And hey Nic, call me soon.

Millie added these pithy words on Oct 15 08 at 10:00 pm